Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Injections later

Today Aydin goes for his 6 months injection, I hope he is a strong boy like last time with barely a twinge. Insyallah

On the food update, so far, we now will accept mashed banana and mashed pumpkin. By next week I’ll start mixing flavours and doing things like sweet potato and spinach. Nice healthy things with enough variety so that hopefully he doesn’t become a fussy eater like I was when I was little.

My mom said I used to cry in restaurants when there wasn’t any chicken or rice. And I didn’t do veggies till I was in the UK. I’d pick them out of everything, every tiny green crunchy thing in nasi goreng, I’d pick it out. So here’s to hoping my strategy works.

I had a chat with some of the new moms at the office yesterday and we agreed that there are some things that we all went through that nearly caused us to meltdown. Among them:

1. Threatening to take our babies and asuh them. This may have been acceptable in the old old old days but now with smaller families and because of how we feel, we could never give away our babies.
2. Threatening to feed our babies inappropriate food. One friend said someone tried to give her 2 month old peanut butter and sikoi (watermelon). The first is a major allergenic and the second prime to upset immature digestive systems. She (the mother) burst into tears. Samboi is equally frightening – I don’t eat the stuff myself, it ruins the kidneys. Imagine what it would do to a baby. Always leave the feeding to Mommy in the early years.
3. Take away our babies from us when we are sleeping. I remember waking up without Aydin being where I left him. Turned out my dad was worried about the menyusu-melimpang position saying it was dangerous. But I did freak out, where's my baby! Another colleague was saying that as much as possible she didnt want her baby to sleep in other rooms or with other people. As the mother she felt that her baby should be closest to her. Which I think is natural.

Basically I think it boils down to nowadays modern moms are much better informed and well read on how to take care of their babies. And tend to be much more protective of their children, myself included. So leave all decisions to Mommy really. And we can avoid Mommy Meltdowns. Cheers

No comments: